Measure I Central
Measure I is the half-cent sales tax collected throughout San Bernardino County for transportation improvements. San Bernardino County voters first approved the measure in November 1989 to ensure that needed transportation projects were implemented countywide through 2010. In 2004, San Bernardino County voters overwhelmingly approved the extension of the Measure I sales tax, with 80.03% voting to extend the measure through 2040.
SANBAG administers Measure I revenue and is responsible for determining which projects receive Measure I funding, and ensuring that transportation projects are implemented. Measure I funds are allocated based on a strategic plan.
- Measure I Subarea Boundaries Map - Boundaries (53K)
- Strategic Plan
- Funding Policies
- Fact Sheets
Measure I Strategic Plan
The SANBAG Board of Directors approved the Strategic Plan on April 1, 2009. The Strategic Plan is the reference manual and policy document for the administration of Measure I 2010-2040 programs by SANBAG and its member agencies.
The report is presented in two parts and a series of appendices. Part 1 provides an overview of Measure I 2010-2040, describes the scope of each Measure I program, presents financial information, and provides an overview of the policy structure for each program. Part 2 presents the specific policies by which each Measure I program will be administered. The policies are referenced by a policy number and a program acronym that corresponds to the name of the program. If there are any differences in the language between Part 1 and the policies in Part 2, the specific policy language in Part 2 shall apply.
The Strategic Plan will continue to undergo policy change and refinement over the thirty-year life of Measure I 2010-2040. As such, SANBAG staff has produced the Strategic Plan in a manner that is amenable to treatment as a living document. As the Strategic Plan is amended, SANBAG will circulate an email to the Transportation Technical Advisory Committee (TTAC) mailing list to inform its member agencies that the document has been amended. The most current version will also be maintained here.
Parts 1, 2 and the Appendices of the Measure I 2010-2040 Draft Strategic Plan:
- Measure I 2010-2040 Strategic Plan, Part 1
- Measure I 2010-2040 Strategic Plan, Part 2
- Measure I 2010-2040 Strategic Plan, Appendices
- Measure I 2010-2040 Strategic Plan, Glossary
Measure I: Expenditure Plan
Revenue from the Measure I tax can only be used for transportation improvement and traffic management programs authorized in the Expenditure Plan set forth in Ordinance No. 20-4.
Director of Fund Administration and Programming
Phone: (909) 884-8276
Fax: (909) 885-4407
During the first 17 years of the measure (1990-2007), funds have been allocated as follows:
Mountain and Desert Communities
The mountain and desert communities spend 65% of these Measure I funds on major streets that serve as transportation arteries throughout the region. Another 30% is spent on local streets and roads, and the remaining 5% is used to support bus operations, so that elderly and handicapped riders can receive lower fares.
|CITY OR TOWN||MEASURE I REVENUE
|Big Bear Lake||$12,570,188|
|UNINCORPORATED COUNTY AREA|
San Bernardino Valley Communities
In the San Bernardino Valley, Measure I funds are allocated using a different formula. Cities and unincorporated areas in the valley receive Measure I allocations for improvements to local streets and roads. Additional Measure I funds are "pooled" for major transportation projects, including freeway projects, major streets that serve as transportation arteries, the Metrolink train, Omnitrans support for elderly and disabled riders, and traffic management/environmental enhancement projects, such as signal synchronization programs, landscaping irrigation, and beautification efforts.
|PROJECT OR CITY||MEASURE I REVENUE
|Major Arterial Streets||$149,878,645|
(ridesharing, landscaping, etc.)
|Local Streets and Roads:|
All documents are in Acrobat PDF format.
- Allocation Formula Policies
- Policy 34002, Measure I Allocation Formula Policies (20K)
- Local Expenditure Policies
- Policy 34100, Responsibilities (27K updated 8/4/03)
- Policy 34101, Street Purpose and Definitions and Guidelines (34K)
- Policy 34102, Specific Determinations (35K)
- Policy 34103, Special Accounting Requirements (33K)
- Policy 34104, Informal Determination (19K)
- Policy 34105, Five-Year Capital Improvement Plans
for Expenditure of Measure I Pass Through Funds (26K)
- Elderly and Handicapped
Funds and Policies
- Policy 34200, Measure I Elderly and Handicapped Funds (26K)
- Policy 34201, Measure I Elderly and Handicapped Policies (26K)
- Valley Traffic Management and
Environmental Enhancement Policies
- Policy 34300, Valley Management & Environmental Enhancement
Policies, Guidelines & Criteria for Project Selection & Funding (25K)
- Policy 40005, Valley Freeway Interchange (VFI) Program, Measure I 2010-2040 Strategic Plan
- Valley Arterial Program Policies
- Policy 34400, Measure I Valley Arterial Program-
Policies, Guidelines & Criteria (30K)
- Policy 34401, Project Selection and Prioritization Process
with the Valley Areas (27K)
No. 89-1 (30K)
San Bernardino County Transportation Authority Transportation Expenditure Plan and Retail Transactions and Use Tax Ordinance
- Ordinance No. 89-1 Expenditure plan (61K)
- Ordinance No. 89-1 Schedule E Mountain-Desert Area
Expenditure Plan (29k)
No. 90-1 (39k)
Ordinance of San Bernardino County Transportation Authority Amending Ordinance No. 89-1 Relating to Implementation of a Transaction and Use Tax
Measure I Projects
Below is a link to completed, current and near future projects that were or are funded all, or in part, with Measure I funds. San Bernardino Valley and Mountain/Desert area projects are included.
Measure I Fact Sheets
These sheets list the specific benefits for each city or area in San Bernardino county. All fact sheets are in Adobe PDF format. Select the town to view the fact sheet.
|Measure I Fact Sheets for Mountain & Desert Communities (updated 06/28/10)|
|City of Adelanto||City of Victorville|
|Town of Apple Valley||Town of Yucca Valley|
|City of Barstow||Colorado
|City of Big Bear Lake||Morongo
|City of Hesperia||Mountains
|City of Needles||North
|City of Twentynine Palms||Victor
|San Bernardino Valley Communities - (updated 6/28/2010)|
|Chino Hills||Rancho Cucamonga|
|Grand Terrace||San Bernardino|
Measure I Forms
You can download current Measure I forms. Each form is provided in its original file type so that you can enter data directly into it.
Capital Improvement Plans (CIP)
- Mountain/Desert Plan Form (Excel)
- Valley Plan Form (Excel)
- Mountain/Desert Expenditure Strategy Form (Word)
- Valley Expenditure Strategy Form (Word)
- Mountain/Desert Measure I Resolution Form (Word)
- Valley Measure I Resolution Form (Word)
Capital Project Need Analysis (CPNA)
- CPNA Resolution (Word)
Development Mitigation Annual Report
- Valley and Mountain/Desert Form (Excel)